Re: Not-crashing by design

>>Speaking of cymbal crashes, I once read that a trademark of Keith`s style
>was heavy use of the cymbals to the point where they create a kind of wash
>over the band`s sound. Many recordings cofirm this, live and studio. Think
>for example of A Quick One, but especially a live tune such as Baby, Don`t
>You Do It. I`d be interested to hear the drummers` comments on this aspect
>of Keith`s playing.....Gary M.

In the early years Moon's hi-hat was almost purely for "cosmetic" purposes.
 He played the ride and crash cymbals to acheive the effect you described - a
bigger sound washing over the other intruments. With only 3 musicians playing
instruments this helped fill in the gaps. Around QUAD and after, you hear
more hi-hat as Moon's poison consumption increased and his creativity and
confidence decreased.

JJM,