Re: Sea and Sand

>Excellent analysis of this song and Quad in general by Mark, however one
>wishes Sea and Sand and the rest of Quad had been given a harder sound, more
>akin to the way the Who performed it live in the mid-70`s as certain boots
>attest. It`s interesting to note that much of Tommy is relatively quiet
>sounding, and perhaps PT calculated that he needed to do the same for Quad
>to make it the transcendent commercial and critical success he clearly
>wanted. Except by then LAL and WN had been released, albums which are the
>summit of hard rock glory. I think any Who album released in their aftermath
>which returned to a softer sound inevitably sounded like a demo - at least
>that`s how I saw it at the time, and still do... Gary M.

   Yeh, I think there is an unfortunate and weird generation gap going on
between '60's Who fans and '70's Who fans. The Who I remember played small
clubs and were right in my face. And they were hungry, moody and easily
provoked. And they were Great! The Who in the 70's had it made. Huge
stadiums, 5 trucks of equipment and, probably, an in-house accountant.
Still the best band in the World, but something had changed.
  "Tommy" was the masterpiece of the old Who. "Who's Next" and
"Quadrephenia" always seemed to me to be the product of  suddenly wealthy
superstars trying hard to improve on perfection. I don't know. It's just a
thought...Dennis