THE WHO MUSEUM

        I didn't know if anyone on the list had heard of this, but if you
        haven't, I've typed up a copy of the article as it appeared in the
        7/8/94 issue of Goldmine.  Has anyone visited this place?  Also this
        must be the mildest version I've ever heard of Moon's famous "21st"
        birthday party.

        The Who Goes Collegiate
        by Lisa L. Barker

                I have never before featured one person's collection in this
        column, but I think it's worth the space to mention this one.  More than
        120,000 photos, prints and negatives, and more than 2,000 tapes and
        photographic recordings chronicaling a rock band, have found a permanent
        home at the University of Texas' Center for American History.  The group
        with the collegiate credentials is The Who and the contributor is Tom
        Wright.
                "I have been trying for years to get a college or a university
        to take my collection, but no one seemed interested, until U.T.," says
        the San Antonio resident.
                Wright, who was a native of Alabama, studied photography in
        England at the Ealing Art School, where he met painting student Pete
        Townshend in 1961.  "He was very shy back in those days," says Wright.
        "We used to share my recordings of American blues, jazz and R&B.  I even
        gave him my collection, before I left England."
                Wright went back to America, but kept in touch with Townshend.
        When Townshend gave up art for rock 'n' roll, he called up Wright and
        invited him to photograph his new band on its U.S. tour in 1967.  Wright
        became The Who's photographer, and their road manager.
                "I was also managing The Grande Ballroom in Detroit at the
        time," says Wright.  "That's where they performed Tommy for the first
        time in the United States."
                Wright recorded the performance on both audio tape and
        photographs.  Wright stayed on, photographing the band until its 1989
        25th anniversary tour.
                Many of the photos show the band in a playful, staged mode,
        during its early years.  "There is a birthday shot of Keith Moon when he
        turned 20," he says.  "He was on tour and wanted to drink, so we staged
        a huge birthday party for him and announced that Keith turned 21.  All
        of the news clips worked as a great fake ID for him."
                Wright says the band was staying at a Holiday Inn at the time
        and listening to a demo recording of The Who Sell Out, "really loud."
                "The manager came in and told us we were making too much noise,
        so Keith picked up a birthday cake and shoved it in his face."  Wright
        says the manager then proceeded to call every Holiday Inn across the
        country and literally banned the group from staying in its
        establishments.
                The collection also features a shot of Townshend wearing a Tommy
        helmet.  "The picture was taken in Los Angeles, in 1968,"  says Wright.
                In addition to his work with The Who, Wright also served as road
        manager and/or photographer for The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart and The
        Faces, The James Gang, J.D. Souther, Elvis Costello, Bob Seger and The
        Eagles and has donated photos of these artists to the University
        collection as well.  The University of Texas archives also feature
        correspondence with Townshend as well as art work, memorabilia, posters,
        scrapbooks and other material of the band.  All are available for public
        research and reference.  (Call 512-471-1444 for information).

        Sounds intersting, no?
                                                Brian Cady