Re: Mould at the Supper Club

On May 6,  8:38pm, A64athena@aol.com wrote:
> I admire greatly the way he handled the fact that some
> people were practically booing him off the stage. Anyone who opens for Pete
> would have to expect that.

What a contrast these descriptions of the Supper Club audience's
reaction to the opening act are from my experience at the Fillmore.
If it is true that anyone opening for Pete should expect to be
booed off the stage, it does not speak well for the character of
Pete's fans, IMHO.

I guess I'm still of fan of "all that lovely hippie shit", but I
don't see what possible good can come from yelling obscenties at
the opening act.  At the Fillmore we had a pretty much forgettable
guy doing some standard blues tunes with guitar and harmonica.  When
he came out a guy next to me on the front rail yells out "Hey man,
how did you get *this* gig?  This is an incredible gig!"  He then
talked about how lucky and happy he was to have got it.  He played
his songs, people either listened or sat down and talked.  He finished,
we applauded, he left.  Why would one want to add negative energy
and emotions to the event?  Will Pete play better because you've
been rude?

I've been to *a lot* of concerts in my time.  I've always found that
the whole thing is enhanced by making the experience as enjoyable as
possible for everyone around you.  If the audience is relaxed and having
fun, so will the performers.  If the opening act goes off stage feeling
like the fans gave them some respect (especially when they have been
invited by Pete) it can only help things go better.

So this is my "challenging posting".  I challenge you all to think
about the net affect of your actions and what you want to accomplish.

   Paul Stevens                               Silicon Graphics
   stevens@engr.sgi.com                       Mountain View, CA