NY Times review

Did anyone/everyone see the review of PT's 5/3 Supper Club show in
today's NY Times?  I've read it 4 times, and I'm still not exactly sure
what the author means in some places --esp the comparison w/ Elton John.
Puh-leeeze.  I'll post it if y'all haven't seen it.

Sorry to rub it in the faces (and monitors) of those who couldn't make it
to the NY shows, but it really was remarkable to be there.  Where else in
the world could you find a room full of people singing along to the line
"Queen of the fucking universe"?

Some bonehead next to me kept yelling in between and sometimes during the
quieter songs. "PEEEETE," he'd bellow -- or, occasionally, "BE FRIENDLY,
PEEEETE" -- that one really amused me.  I glared at him and wrote him off
as one of those fair-weather fans who came to hear him do "Teenage
Wasteland" -- until I noticed that he sang along to EVERY WORD to "Now and
Then."  Thus was my comeuppance.  Like PT said on Conan, karma is
interesting.

High points for me: Drowned, I Am An Animal, Cut My Hair.

His voice was in fine, fine form, unlike the PsychoD tour.  An incredible
experience to be there.  I didn't think every song was great (I found All
Shall Be Well to be lacking w/o the chorus.  And I know it's heresy, but
I was missing RD terribly during Love Reign O'er Me.), but when it did
work, I was in a state of open-mouthed awe, adoration and bliss. No
exaggeration.

And to Mason who said something about how surprised you were that PT
relied on his notes -- I have two points:

#1 Have you ever seen a show (or footage of PT/Who/Deep End/whatever)
where Townshend *hasn't* screwed up his lyrics?  He always forgets the
words.  He had ENORMOUS cue cards for "Barefootin'" on Conan.  I'm
relieved that he kept his notes handy this mini-tour.

#2  Consider yourself lucky that you could see the notebook he was
using.  Those of us who arrived at the club after the Conan taping
couldn't see anything more than his head and shoulders, the place was so
PACKED!!  I could see part of the guitar and his red handkerchief in his
pocket.  We couldn't see anything when he sat at the piano or sat down
for Parvardigar.

Nice to see fellow who listers at the taping and the show.  I know I was
standing next to Marty S, one of the Garys and a few other listers at the
Supper Club.  Felt awkward identifying myself, but it was nice to see
y'all.

Cloaked in anonymity,

Jake