ROGER ON FD/IH

        I'm sorry I don't have the material with me here at work (I hope to
     get this for the house soon), but since some people were wondering
     what Roger thought about Face Dances and It's Hard, I would point you
     to an interesting and very important interview with Roger in Goldmine
     in 1992 (I'll try to get the issue date tomorrow if anyone is
     interested).

     Roger said he loved Pete's songwriting on FD and said it would have
     been a great album if the drumming had been better.  When the
     interviewer says about Kenney's drumming, "Well, it wasn't Moon,"
     Roger replies, "Yeah, but was it anything?"  He then goes on to berate
     Kenney's drumming, at one point calling it "shit."

     On It's Hard, Roger said he was disappointed with the material, that
     he begged Pete to scrap the album and start over writing from scratch,
     but Pete said words to the effect that "this is where The Who is now."
     Roger's language concerning this album is as strong (and similar) to
     his opinion of Kenney Jones.

     It's a bitter interview, as nasty as the infamous New Muscial
     Express/Creem interviews of 1975.  Roger also states that John's life
     is "over" now that The Who have stopped touring.  He also berates Pete
     for deigning to use The Who for the two tracks of "The Iron Man" when
     "we weren't good enough for anything in between."  (I'm quoting from
     memory here). He then says, quite venemously states he'll never work
     with Pete again.

     Well, as Hyde Park suggests, Rog got over it.  And I must say that
     this is typical behavior for The Who.  I don't think anyone on this
     list will flame anybody as badly as The Who have flamed each other
     over the years.  So does Roger still have this opinion of those two
     albums (or Kenney)?  Who knows?

     P.S. As one last question about FD/IH:  Why does my wife consider "One
     At A Time" to be The Who's best song?  She seems so normal otherwise.

                                        -Brian Cady