Re: IH > WAY, A Farce

> I'm not going to argue that The Stones got worse after TY. I DO think that
> GHS was their last great album, and I can see why they left WFAF off of it.
> Rollins notwithstanding, I don't think it's a very good song.

Those pesky opinions, which this argument is based upon anyway.  I think
GHS would've been a better album with it because there are some true dogs
on that album (Dancing with Mr D, Can you Hear the Music).

> >>No, that was someone else. I never said anything about One Life.
> >
> >I know, but I didn't see you knock it either.  That song gets under my skin.
>
> I'm sort of neutral on that song. I don't care one way or the other.
>
> >That's two cylinders and two drunks mind you.  And IMHO those two drunks did
> >ok.
>
> OK isn't good enough for The Who. My point was that they did better on IH.

It's Hard is less than OK, it's barely passable.  But again mind you it's
not bad compared with that current music scene.  I judge Who albums but
good, better, great, and for the ages.  IH is just good.

> >In Pete's mind he was handing the torch over to the punk bands, giving up
> >perhaps but he must've seen something in a 20 year old musician which
> >mirrored his own life at that age.  I'll say this about Had Enough, listen
> >to Roger's voice.  It still contains the passion, the feelings of anger that
> >Pete wanted expressed in his songs.  On IH and yes FD, Roger doesn't have
> >it.  If Roger sang Cry if You Want in 1978, it would've been 10 times more
> >powerful.
>
> Uh...Pete didn't write Had Enough. He DID write I've Had Enough, though, and
> that's a great song.
> Rog's voice is a bit hoarse on Had Enough...it was a sign that things were
> changing. I think that if they'd been interested in putting out a great
> album, they would have rerecorded the vocal. This is an indication of what
> was wrong with the band...Rog and John were only interested in being Rock
> Stars, and Pete wasn't interested...and Keith wasn't in shape. For IT'S
> HARD, they had something to prove and were very interested in putting out
> their best.
I already clarifed that Pete didn't write Had Enough, check that mail.
If IH is "putting out their best" I'm ready to throw up.

> I DO like It's Hard as it is. I do hear some passion in Rog's voice when he
> screams: "Waaaarrrr/I've never known war..." but I will grant you that the
> song is a bit complex for him...he is always better when the songs are less
> complicated.

Compare that to "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII've Had Enough Being Nice"
How many minutes into I've Known No War for Roger to express himself?
Roger showed that he didn't believe in the IH material but yet he still
put his gut on the line for WAY.

> I thought that Eminence Front was the most modern-sounding song on the
> album, not anything harking back.

I disagree. First of all, Eminence is another Pete syth composition,
which gets a little tiring by this point.  It's the same formula for
Baba, and WGFA.  The actual rhythm for the song isn't really innovative
anyway.

> It's been called "almost too sterile" by higher-placed men than I. I do see
> what they mean, though...it sounds so perfect; is this The Who? I don't
> think they're at their peak (that would be QUAD), and WBN suffers from the
> same antiseptic sound as the other Johns productions. Wait until you hear
> the remix. I think you will grant me at least that WN sounds more alive now.

I've only heard comments such as "next to the Stones' Let It Bleed it's rock's
most assured record" or "this is the Who's magnum opus".  Sterile never
entered the equation concerning Who's Next.  If you don't think WN is the
Who at their peak then I can't help you.  I'll admit I've never been one
of these die hard Quad lovers, but I do know the album where all four
memebers reached their stride (IE Keith Moon isn't the same drummer on
Quad, argue Bargain and Goin' Mobile against any tune on Quad).  As for
WBN sounding "antiseptic", I feel it's a reaction to the production of
Quad.  WBN is the Who's minimalist album (no synths, no double tracked
vocals) which show the Who naked.  Now this is the remix I've been
waiting years for!!