Roy Harper meets Keith Moon

I found an article on Roy Harper at
http://www.mit.edu/people/jonb/pt/harper.html

which included this bit of Who content:

On February 14th (Valentine's Day) 1974, Harper played a now legendary gig
at London's Rainbow, backed by Jimmy Page, Keith Moon and Ronnie Lane.
Material from this set was included on the double LP set 'Flashes From The
Archives Of Oblivion', also featuring musical contributions from Jethro
Tull's Ian Anderson. A definitive collection with the infamous naughty
album cover. I asked Roy for a couple of brief impressions of the event.

"Well, getting Moony (Keith Moon) out of bed to start with, was like Hell
on Earth. He didn't even know that he'd got any more gigs left, ever. It
was horrendous. The effort involved in getting him out of bed and getting
him to the Rainbow was exhausting. Then when he'd got me exhausted and off
my fucking feet, when he started to go in an upward direction, those were
his words, I said "Jesus, I'm feeling tired, how am I gonna do this
tonight?" and he turned around and he said: 'Ere, I've got something for
you....."

        OH NO!

"Yeah, that's exactly what I thought... Oh no. He got a briefcase, and he
opened it and there were rows of drugs and the whole thing and the bottom
was like full of... he must have recognised all of it, and he took
something out and he said: 'Ere, take those two right now, and that'll put
you in an upward direction, and he fiddles around a bit more, pulls out
another canister, tips out another pill, a really big red one, and says,
And take that about 11 O'clock and that'll keep you going straight, and
then when you've had enough of that take those two... and I thought,
Fuckin' hell. Here I am, I've got my night planned for me! A chemically
engineered evening. There are many impressions, but that one is absolutely
unforgettable."

Joe Grimes  ***   jgg@one.net   ***   Cincinnati, Ohio