More "Stairway to Hell"

Hank Marvin and the Shadows were a big influence on the Who too, as GaryM
has reminded me, but think also of Bill Haley and his big, slamming guitar
chord sound (replacing or at least equalling the horns in the ensemble). The
Comets were reputed as a LOUD band, as was Bo Diddley, and this had an
impact on PT too. This is where those PT power chords came from, I`d say,
via Eddie Cochran, with that Spanish flamenco/Latin influence added in and
some modal jazz influences to boot. And the R&B of Berry, Diddley and others
of course. The Generation jam segments were not at all like The Zep/Cream
blues workouts with their long virtuoso, purist solos. The Who worked
TOGETHER at all times, tight as could be on their best nights, viz.
LAL....Gary M.