Re: Fang's Offensive Remarks

        N O    W H O    C O N T E N T.

Note: I initially recieved an E-mail from Scott, and in respect to those on
the list, E-mailed him back this response. When I came back to the list, I
noticed the E-mailed msg was publicly posted (which is cool -- I don't mind
discussing this publicly...in fact, I enjoy the feedback!) So, anyway, here is
my response, in all its agonizing splendor.... break out the popcorn, turn
down the lights..and enjoy!  (Really, don't worry -- it's not so bad!)

-    -    -     -     -    -    -     -      -     -    -    -    -     -    -

Scott,

>>> I'm sorry that you feel "concerned" when someone is offended.

        Well, thanks for your concern, although I'm not sure why you would
feel sorry about that.  What I mean is, I sincerely do not mean to offend
anyone myself.  I don't know Fang real well, but know him well enough to know
he likes to be "provocative";  not exactly my style.  I prefer to "understand"
where someone is coming from, and try my best to clarify my own thoughts.

>>> This is a Who mailing list, and comments or jokes describing ANY ethnicity
-or parts of the female (or male) anatomy-in the pejorative are unnecessary,
unwelcome, and in this case, not funny IMHO.

        See, this is what I don't get.  Why the rigidity?  You say ethnic
jokes or comments are, "in this case, not funny."  Why not?  When ARE they
funny, and when are they not?  You see, I really don't understand why the
forum dictates the humor.  It makes no sense;  if the joke is funny, IT'S
FUNNY, pretty much anywhere.  Maybe someone is more sensitive than someone
else about a topic, ethnic or otherwise, and for whatever reason.  I
understand that, but that, to ME, doesn't mean they should be banned from
discussion, even if this IS primarily a Who-list.  In fact, I feel the varying
topics make this a much more fun & interesting forum than if it was JUST the
Who....I honestly get more OUT of the discussions because the topics shift
around.
        Your comment above seems to indicate that at certain times, you DO
find ethnic (and/or biological) jokes/comments humorous.  Can you explain when
you feel they are appropriate?

>>> I wouldn't dream of denying Mr.Weiner the right to say, feel, or write
these things, I am merely asking that he save them for people he knows will
appreciate them.  There were many on this list that did not.

        There were many that did appreciate them.  I think they were, well,
not hysterical, but I see the humor in them, as I would if the comments were
made about Italians.  Comments like that are not meant to be taken personally;
they generally poke fun at a stereotype.  Now, if the SHOE FITS.....
        I must ask....do you see what I mean?  Really, Scott -- no one is
trying to insult anyone here, but it is a real drag when we ALL have to drop
down to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR, just so we don't offend anyone.  Can't
we all be adults here, and learn a little tolerance?  I mean, where do we
draw the line?  What if someone is really turned off by Led Zeppelin, and a
lister posts a comparison (as has been done), and the guy who hates LZ gets
all upset, and starts saying, "please don't discuss LZ;  it makes my stomach
churn, and I break out in hives, and my shoes get tight".  I know, you're
probably thinking, "well, THAT'S not really the same thing at all, because
ETHNIC jokes can really HURT someone", or something like that.  But THAT'S my
POINT:  YOU probably can't see why a guy would be offended by a LZ comment.
I'll bet if we dug around, we could find someone who actually IS (well, ok,
maybe Alanis Morrisette!).  See, then are we not supposed to discuss LZ?
Is it okay because it is at least Music-related?  Why the restrictions?  As
long as someone doesn't just spew total, pointless nonsense, I see no reason
not to allow it on the list.  (IMHO).  Think about it;  wouldn't it be better
if we all learned to excercise a little TOLERANCE?  (Just a suggestion).

                sincerely,
                gary m.