Jeremy's Spoken

While searching for PT reviews or info in the San Jose Mercury News on AOL, I
found this article. You may be interested.

Litgo

PEARL JAM'S VEDDER TALKS OF FAME, FRUSTRATION, NEW ALBUM  10/20/93

By MARK BROWN
Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES -- It's not that Eddie Vedder is antisocial. That's not why he's
driving his record company nuts by declining to talk to the press about Pearl
Jam's new album, ``Vs.''

Like his equally silent bandmates, Vedder is simply being careful now that
Pearl Jam has become one of the rock machine's hottest commodities. He has to
be, if only for his own sanity.

Suddenly everybody wants a piece of you; everybody wants to be your friend.
Suddenly actresses want to date him. Vedder's not buying into it.

``I was listening to an old Who record yesterday while chopping some wood,''
Vedder said in a rare interview backstage at the MTV Video Awards last month.
``Pete Townshend was definitely talking about some industry stuff. Pete tells
the truth.''

The song, ``How Many Friends'' from 1975's ``The Who by Numbers,'' long has
been a Vedder favorite.

``I remember relating to that song when I was 14, before all this,'' he said,
gesturing to the MTV hullabaloo all around him.

He shook his head and quoted a couple of lines from the song: ``How many
friends have I really got?'' He looked down and spread his fingers. ``I can
count them on one hand.''

Finding those real friends becomes a chore.

``You get related to as an icon,'' he said.