Re: Townshend at the Fillmore

> From: Gord1@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 03:20:21 -0400
>

> #3  Pete mentioned that the show was being "recorded".  Someone at the show
> told me that it was being taped for MTV to be shown sometime this summer.  I
> did not see TV cameras.

There was a giant Westwood One 40 track recording unit in the trailer
parked right in front of the Fillmore.  They had mics set up on the left
and right side of the stage to record the audience and they had the
soundboard feed cabled right into the truck.  Probably in about a month
KFOG and other similar stations across the country will have excerpts from
the show - WW1 is notorious for broadcasting 75 minute versions of 2+ hour
concerts.

> #5  In all my "Who Life", I've never seen Pete in such a good mood.  He was
> in a great mood at the Jones Beach Psychoderelict concert, but this evening,
> he was in an even better mood.  He spent a lot of time talking to the
> audience.  He mentioned things like the Fillmore was the first really big
> place The Who played -- the concert before the Monterey Festival.  He
> jokingly said before the encore that he was "now taking requests".  He ended
> up playing a great version of Magic Bus.

And no one even requested Magic Bus, he played it because it went over so
well the night before at the HOB.  People were requesting all kinds of
obscure stuff and Pete explained he can't play them anymore.  He stuck to
his pre-planned set list last night at the Fillmore and didn't play any
songs that weren't played at in W. Hollywood the night before.  The
Fillmore show had less problems - the only one being some mic feedback
after the first song.  The Fillmore is not air conditioned and the heat
was oppressive.  It was much more crowded up front at the Fillmore than at
either HOB show.  The sound was not at all loud, not even close to any of
the JAE shows.

My subjective running assessment of the shows:

1) HOB 9pm show -  Pete tried some stuff that I don't think he'll play
anymore on this tour (Gershwin tune).  Due to equipment problems he had to
mix things up and play more guitar tunes in a different order than he
planned.  Pete's comments to the audience were most biting at this show.
No encore because he ran out of time as they had to clear the place out
for the next show.  115 minutes long.

2) HOB 12am show - Pete was tired, the audience was tired (and drunk).
Very little chat from Pete so more music within the limited time.
Unremarkable show, but some nice electric guitar at the end including the
seemingly spontaneous playing of Magic Bus.  "Love Reign O'er Me" was
another highlight on the Yamaha piano.  95 minutes long.

3) Fillmore show -  venue was overcrowded, but the show went off very
well. After mentioning that the show was being taped Pete said "I don't
try any harder."  Pete didn't play any songs that weren't played the night
before.  When asked to smash one Pete said he only smashes Japanese
guitars, not a real guitar.  125 minutes long.

--Steve