Re[2]: Pete on VH1 Honors

  >Dan, re:
  >
  >>Too bad he forgot half the words in the last verse of that song,
  though.

  >I don't think he forgot the lyrics at all... it looked more to me that
  he was
  >trying to "wrap it up" quicker... broken guitar strings and all...
  >
  >-wf
  Oh, he forgot the words all right.  Couldn't remember them, ad-libbed,
  and then finished the song up after he got frustrated and broke the
  strings.  He forgot them at the Secret Policeman's Ball performance,
  too*.  He needs the tele-prompter.  I don't blame him.  Who can remember
  all those words (unless you're Daltrey and sung them a billion or two
  times)?  I think that's why he took out the lyrics to LMLOTD before
  starting that song ... to put his mind back on tract.

  Granted, it didn't ruin the performance ... it just made yet another
  unique rendition of the song ... and the anger and frustration really
  energize the music.

  -John

  * which I think is a better rendition ... John William's accompaniment is
  a nice touch.