Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 79

J, re:

> disappointed by "Iron Man."

I'm not Bob Crane, but... I thought "Iron Man" was like doing the "Tommy
Soundtrack" before doing "Tommy". I think it suffers from the following: a)
the guest vocalists (Nina Simone ruins "Fast Food") --although Roger can
stay! b) the "different" production of "Fire" (this makes "The Who" sound as
if they are "charactitures" of themselves) and c) the untimely release BEFORE
the "real" CD age. The album was originally slated as a double, but time
contraints and Atlantic's reluctants forced it down to one. Since vinyl was
being produced at the time, CDs were really maxing at 45 minutes, with some
exceptions of "greatist hits" or re-releases with "bonus" tracks. The
addition of "Penny Drop" and the FULL "Man Machines" would have clarified and
strengthened the story line...

Perhaps one day, Pete will release the album properly...

>>>(I bugged the hell out of the record store mgr in the little town I lived
in at the time...he ordered cassetes and not the CD, and I refused to buy the
tape, holding out for the disc.)

Those were the days that an album was first released on vinyl (and cassette),
then the CD followed shortly afterwards...

-wf