Re: Rarities CD

PD, re:

>Someone mentioned a while ago that the first pressing to the 'The Who
>rarities Vol 1 & 2' was in some way inforior to subsequent pressings (bad
>transfer?).   I bought mine when it first came out and was wondering if mine
>was one of these.  Any easy way to tell (specific problem tracks, etc.).

I'm not James T. Kirk, but it was me... Yeah, the 1st pressing of that CD was
from the PDO plant in the UK. I've been told that some of the discs from that
plant have oxidized and are now only partially playable. Not only that, but
"Water" and "Baby Don't You Do It" are edited. The 2nd pressing is at the
Polydor plant in Germany and is UNedited.

The sad thing about that PDO plant is the "Won't Get Fooled Again" CD single
with "Boney Morony" and "Dancing In The Street" came from there and... (good
thing I have the same on vinyl as a "backup"...) Speaking of the former, I'd
guess that there is a studio version of that floating around some place...

-wf