"WHO" NEWS

I just received the Generations periodic newsletter.  Some of the information
may be a bit dated to some of you but here we go............"The remaining
studio albums (after Tommy & Quad) pose problems of what extra tracks to add,
there generally not being any non-album singles or B-sides, and few outtakes.
 WHO ARE YOU is not quite so bad a problem.  The 1977 - 78 session listing
mentions Who versions of "Choir Boy" & "Empty Glass".  Jon Astley has doubts,
however, that these are quite what they appear.  He says that "Choir Boy" was
re-worked as something else and has no recollection of "Empty Glass" being
recorded by The Who at all.  But they are listed in Pete's archives.  The
main point of interest for this CD however is that additional tracks might
well be selected from the last two Moon - era gigs at Kilburn (which Astley
engineered) and Shepperton.  Pete's archives list 4 songs from Kilburn and 10
songs from Shepperton.  These aren't likely brilliant live gigs but they do
have great historical interest as Moon's last shows.

The most significant new thing is that a 2 X CD live set is now being planned
in some detail.  This is really the culmination of all the re-issue work and
discussions have started as to what it will include.  It will cover Moon
shows only and not repeat anything already on release.  It was hoped that it
could start in 1965 and end with the last Moon gigs in 1978.  However, the
complete lack of available tapes from 1965, 1966 and only the poor Monterey
set from April 1967 means that the starting point is likely to be the two
Fillmore East shows from April 1968.  Already earmarked if the tape is up to
scratch is "C'mon Everybody" - one of the rarest items available.  The set
will offer a selection of tracks from Woodstock 1969, Leeds 1970, Hull 1970,
Young Vic 1971, San Francisco 1971, Philadelphia 1973, Landover 1973,
Charlton 1974, and Swansea 1976.  It is most likely to end with the great
version of "Won't Get Fooled Again" from Swansea.

The Isle of Wight set is scheduled for a seperate CD set (no firm date set
however) on Castle following the 2 X CD multi-artist version that has already
come out in the UK.  The main debate is whether or not to include a full
version of Tommy from either Leeds or Hull.  On a 2 CD set this will fill
most of one disc and block out a lot of other stuff.  This concerned me but I
can understand the thinking behind it.  Chris Charlesworth said a full Tommy
performance would be justified if he could persuade the record companies to
make this a 3 CD set !  It would be great if this could happen.  As well as
the above concerts, two 4 track tapes have been located from Bob Pridden's
collection from 1969 that Astley is going to listen to.  Most interesting,
however, is a tape that has been offered from someone in America who has an
official mixing desk recording of the show at Cleveland Musicarnival 1968 (Is
that you Fang ?).  It remains to be seen whether this will sound good enough.
 The tape of the Oval 1971 was said to be appalling quality for an official
recording and not worth the trouble.

Pete is working on a projected 3 volume autobiography according to
Charlesworth.  A long term project that one.  Another long term project is
Nick Ryle's CD-Rom history of The Who which would include every audio track
and proportions from every concert or performance on film and audio.  This
project is a massive undertaking and MCA / Polydor are considering whether to
fund it.  Pete has already given his blessing I understand.

Finally, the next issue of Generations (No. 15)....Well, it still is not
ready and I can only say it won't be out before April at least.  Ironically,
there's loads of things to include in it.   There's probably more to say
about the band now than ever before.  It will come together soon, I
promise....."

Sorry for any typos