Generations #14

I just obtained a copy of the above magazine, edited and produced in England
by Phil Hopkins and John Atkins, and find it entirely fascinating. Of the
numerous items of great interest therein, we find the second part of an
interview with Jon Astley in which the latter is quoted as saying "...John`s
the one who`s deaf...you have to shout at John if he`s facing away from
you." Very relevant to the recent discussion on our list of LAL recording
techniques is the piece entitled "Crackling Noises O.K.: The Full (Untold)
Story Of Live At Leeds" whch contains much detail of interest concerning the
concert, the original album and expanded version thereof. It confirms that a
"slight echo" was added to the raw recording "to enhance the feel", and that
some "stereo panning" was added to Magic Bus. The article also states that a
part of Shakin` All Over, where the band merged into Spoonful, was left off
that cut because Roger`s singing was felt to be off-key. Ditto for a part of
PT`s solo on YMB( although I believe this part was reinstated on the
reissue). There is no mention of whether speakers were ringed around the
hall, but the article explains exactly how the album was recorded: the Pye
Mobile Recording Unit did an 8-track recording: A track fed from each vocal
mic of John, Roger and Pete, from the mic on each guitar and bass speaker,
from a mic on the bass drum and another on the top of the drums, and from an
"ambience" mic suspended over the audience (thus eight in all). I highly
recommend this magazine. For subscription info, write Phil Hopkins at 1
Egbert Road, Meols, Wirral, Merseyside, England. L47 5AH.