Re: PJ covers PT (Smashing Pumpkins, et al..)

>Ambition wise Corgan can rival Townshend (I think rock has been lacking a
>deep thinker for some time), this album is a very challenging listen.  As
>for musical content it's not of the classic variety yet, but it has more
>peaks than valleys.

I definitely agree with your thoughts on Mellon Collie. I was a bit
reluctant to buy it initially. But, it hasn't been out of the CD Player for
more than a day since I brought it home.

I too see a lot of WHO influence (not copying!). What struck me most about
the album was the ability of the band to express the whole range of
emotion. Yes, the music alone is important to me. Lyrics, and their
meaning, are important to me as well. The Pumpkins were able to combine
both, IMO, to form a very powerful album. And ,IMO, these qualities are
reminders of the qualities that led me to become and remain a fan of The
Who and Townshend's music.

Don

P.S. Re: Eddie Vedder - I read an interview with him somewhere (may have
been online) that he had been reading some of Pete's unpublished /
unrecorded lyrics (poetry, future book?). Eddie stated that the reason that
Pete didn't publish any of them is that they may have be too painful for
Karen, Pete's wife. Anybody familiar with this story? Any information would
be appreciated.