WHO & HENDRIX

     I could not possible argue that The Who didn't have a great influence
     on Jimi Hendrix.  It was his love of guitarists like Clapton and
     Townshend that helped push him to going to England.  However, I
     remember reading (I don't know where; I've read too many Who books!)
     that when Townshend first heard Hendrix, he had a meeting with Clapton
     and told him, "we're finished."  So apparently, if this story is to be
     believed, what Hendrix was doing with guitar was not seen by Townshend
     or Clapton as being that much of a copy of their own act.  The point I
     was trying to make originally was that the Hendrix/Cream axis was a
     much bigger influence on The Who than The Beatles.