Re: Some Weekend-after notes

>     As for infulences on The Who in 1967; far more powerful than The
>     Beatles was labelmate Jimi Hendrix.

Brain:

Uh...I'd have to say that it must have been the other way around. The Who
sounded like that in `65, when Hendrix was still doing studiowork for
others. The "Who sound" was certainly developed by the time Jimi put
together Experience. Please note Pete's remarks at Monterey:

Mama Cass (I think): "Pete, how do you feel about him stealing your act?"
Townshend: "Stealing our act? He's DOING our act!"

And this is pre-SELL OUT.
In fact, the influence from The Who's `67 tour is easy to track. Take Blue
Cheer, who did a remarkably Who-like version of Summertime Blues in `68.
What about the MC5 on KICK OUT THE JAMS...the song following the title track
(I don't have it here...but I believe it's called Starship) is based on the
first three chords of I Can See For Miles. That's easy to spot.
I'd say that Hendrix was heavily influenced by The Who and Clapton.
Townshend influenced by Hendrix? Maybe, a little...Relax is the only cut I
can think of that could possibly. Young Man Blues they were doing as far
back as `65 (hear Marquee Club `65), so to any who might say that was
influenced by Hendrix (or Zeppelin, as has also been suggested): `Fraid not.
Rather, most likely, the reverse.

     Cheers                       ML