odds & ends

Mark Leaman:

However, The Stones have been credited with the Country influence of `68
in
Rock (BEGGAR'S BANQUET)...me, I'd have to give the nod to The Byrds.
<<<

Or Carl Perkins!

re: Who/Beatle influence -
There's been a lot of posts lately regarding who influenced who and I'd
like to point out that the mid-late 60's were a time when artists had
much more of a collaborative spirit than now.  Rock musicians were
learning from each other and listening to each other and mutually pushing
each other further.  There have been many interviews with members of the
Beatles, Stones, etc. where it's been noted that release of a single or
album would be held back by one band so it wouldn't conflict with
another.  I think that you can distinguish peer influences from all of
those people on each other - including the Who, Stones, Beatles, Kinks,
Cream, Floyd, ad infinitum...  God knows we could use a little more of
that kind of cooperation and tolerance these days.

re: Heaven & Hell lyrics -
from "Smash Your Head Against The Wall:"
[All as previously posted with the following last verse]

"In the place up above you grow feathered wings and you flap round and
round,
With a harp singing hymns.

And down in the ground you grow horns and a tail and you carry a fork,
And moan and wail."

re: Leeds sound -
Someone correctly pointed out that the miked sound from the guitar amps
was run through the mixer board, then through the PA.  This is used
primarily onstage to run the monitors so that each member can hear
everyone else, and for general PA use when the venue is stadium sized.
 For smaller halls (like Leeds), they don't need send the guitar or bass
out through the mains.  How many of you have ever actually been near even
a single 100 watt HiWatt amp and 4x12 speaker cabinet with the master
volume knob turned past 4?  I own one, and let me tell you, they are
fucking LOUD.  Putting three or so together (as Pete did regularly even
for small shows) will cut your face clean off.  There wasn't any need to
send Pete's (or John's) signal through the house mains.

There's no question in my mind that Leeds was recorded using the standard
"miking the amps/drums,vocals thru the board" method, as previously
described by Michael Mullins and others.  I think that everything just
happened to work incredibly well that night, including the acoustics of
the hall, the mike placements and levels, and certainly the performance.

OK,
KLW

NP: Beatles' White Album, which was more influential for me than Sergeant
Pepper, but I still like SP a lot...