Some Weekend-after notes

     Just some notes on some of the topics of the weekend:

     On The Who vs. Sgt. Pepper's:  I have no doubt that their was some
     influence of Pepper's on Sell Out; however, I believe the greater
     influence was A Quick One on Pepper's.  When The Beatles began
     recording Pepper's. AQO was on everyone's turntable (I've heard Mick
     and Keith were playing it when they were busted in early '67).
     Although I've never read this, couldn't A Day In The Life, recorded in
     Jan. '67, be a response to A Quick One While He's Away?  And couldn't
     Pepper's conceptualization be an attempt by The Beatles to beat Pete
     to the punch on Pete's long-threatened album-length rock opera?
     As for infulences on The Who in 1967; far more powerful than The
     Beatles was labelmate Jimi Hendrix.  However, I have long wondered
     whether the rock'n'roll tracks recorded for Sell Out were rejected and
     the bass and drums mixed lower to give the album a more Peppery sound.

     On the studio Young Man Blues:
     I would agree with wf that the studio version is great (although the
     "Young Man" chants at the end remind me a lot of The Who's Batman).
     Before anyone goes out to spend a fortune for a copy of The House That
     Track Built, I would warn you that the album (at least my copy) seems
     to be recorded at a low level and is kind of noisy (true for you, too
     wf?)

     Also some other notes:
     The new book The MTV Story has a paragraph on Pete's "I Want My MTV!"
     clip.  To save you the embarrasement of leafing through it in the
     store, here's the gist:  Someone in Kansas knew both the ad agency
     putting the spots together and Pete and put the two in contact.  The
     agency sent people to London to Pete's studio.  Pete was two hours
     late, the book notes snippily, and upon arrival was rushed across the
     street to a makeshift studio to shout the phrase that still rings in
     everyone's head.

     On odd Who covers:
     Finally found Liberace's cover of the Overture.  It turns out to be a
     tame little arrangement (where's the glissandos, Lib?).  Pity he
     didn't cover Acid Queen...
     Speaking of which I also got Tina Turner's Acid Queen album with a
     different arrangement of Acid Queen than on the soundtrack and a funky
     R&B version of I Can See For Miles.  I would have enjoyed it except
     for the note that the song was arranged by Ike Turner, which gives the
     meaning of the song and very creepy twist.