Concept VS Concept

>PEPPER was released June 1, 1967. (Source: Mark Lewisohn's _The Beatles
>Recording Sessions_.)
>
>SELL OUT was released December 16, 1967. It was recorded between July and
>October of that year. (Source: The SELL OUT CD booklet.)
>
>Draw your own conclusions.

OK, and here they are: from what I can hear, there is no SPLHCB influence on
SO at all. Now you could make a case for REVOLVER; it's always seemed to me
that there might have been an influence or two from that.
And the reverse is also true; could George have listened to The Who before
writing Taxman? And Your Bird Can Sing has been mentioned, and what about
Dr. Robert and I Want To Tell You? IWTTY sounds a bit like a sped-up version
of Disguises to me...a little bit.
SO sounds more advanced to me than SP (and it's certainly more timeless; SP
sounded dated even a few years later). The Beatles were going for an overall
sound to unite the album, whereas Townshend was trying for an overall
concept using vastly different-sounding songs. Rael...head and shoulders
over anything on SP. Wish they'd also recorded and left That Motherland
Feeling for the opening.
Lennon stated that SP wasn't really a concept album, and SO definitely is
(even if it doesn't carry to the end).

                  Cheers                         ML