Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 79

> From: Gord1@aol.com
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 05:46:01 -0500
> Subject: Re: Gay Who Fans
>
>  However, it was pretty uh, "queer" to be in a huge group of (mostly) men at
> the JAE concert in SF and thinking "Jeez!, this place is full of Hets!"
>
> about it, here is a bit of a Queer perspective on Quadrophenia:

Thanks for the post, Gord1.  To me, Pete's writing is strong enough
and universal enough that each person can apply it to their own
situation, and I appreciate reading your Quad analysis.

> Tommy the movie is one of the most queerest movies in existence.

Hmm.  You mention design and costume elements, not plot or symbolic
aspects as you did for Quad.  Do you see a gay interpretation of the
plot and events in Tommy (of course, Uncle Ernie...)

> From: WFang01@aol.com
>
> As soon as I get the new dates, I'll make sure I
> post them here. Unless of course, the "moral minority" continues their
> "mighty crusade"...

It's my impression that those you refer to are asking you to reduce
the flamage, not to leave the list or to stop posting useful info.

> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:31:30 -0500
> From: maiullo@tms.attmail.com (Gary Maiullo)
> Subject: Re: Oh yeah? Well you're a dodo head!
>
>      Yes, I agree!  In fact, it has nothing at all to do with "power".
> What we are talking about is "tolerance".  Tolerance = Freedom.

Gary, I think you are taking a pat phrase too literally.  This list
has a charter, a reason for existing, which is to talk about The Who.
It does not exist simply to demonstrate that freedom of speech is
desirable.  I bow to no one in my appreciation for liberty, but when a
person's postings hamper the intended function and value of the list,
it's not _their_ liberty to blather but the liberty of those who
read/post here for the list's intended purpose which should be
protected.  The power of some actions to "chill" free speech while not
actively preventing it has long been recognized in the courts; posts
which have a similar effect on the list deserve sanctions.

> From: white-fang@genie.com
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 17:54:00 UTC 0000
>
> What were you saying yesteday about "Chill Out"??? Did the Dam break and  the
> mighty red river flowing today???

Oh, for God's sake.  Maybe it is.  What's _your_ excuse?

Two people in two days have left this list because of insulting
bullshit like this, and those are just the ones who bothered to post
messages announcing their departure.  I don't know whether any of the
rest of you care but I think it's a fucking shame.

While we debate freedom of speech, the very people who need this list
the most -- the younger fans who may be confused and trying to find
their true self, and are just discovering the power of The Who's music
to help them, or who are glad of the chance to talk to older fans who
saw Keith or even saw the group at all -- have to endure sarcasm,
ridicule, and bizarre queries concerning their genitals.  Not everyone
thinks its worth the abuse.  I mourn their loss.  You may say, "If you
can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" but I say it's a goddam
shame there's that kind of heat at all, and even one person leaving
the kitchen because of it is too much.

ML:
> We should definitely "police ourselves" before someone else comes along and
> decides to do it for us.

The only "police" around here is the list-owner, and I hate to see
things degenerate to the point that he would have to become involved.
Which looks like has already happened, cf. later posts.

> Subjects will get far afield from time to time (and so it should be), but
> there are places that need not be visited.

Couldn't agree more.  The question seem to have arisen of what to do
when the list is dragged to those places anyway.

> From: "Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm>
> Subject: Admnistrivia from your list maintainer
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 16:27:12 -0800 (PST)
>
> Perhaps it's time to make the list digest-only?

It would at least assure that people had more time to consider their
posts.  That would be beneficial assuming reason is at work, but I'm
not convinced that is the case.

Kevin O'Brien:
> If the Digest screens out all the irrelevant stuff, maybe I should
> sign up now.

No screening, it just records all messages posted through the day and
sends them out in one big message.

> In any case, I personally am interested in things
> involving the Who, not in the sordid details of people's private
> lives, or flame wars started on some other on-line service and brought
> over here.

Imagine that :-)

--
Alan McKendree          amck@eden.com           512-478-9900
Adhesive Media, 101 W. 6th St., Ste. 210, Austin, TX   78701