LAL

     I thought the idea of Live At Leeds being an answer to Tommy was
     interesting.  However, while I was putting together a Who history, it
     occurred to me that the material on Leeds is as much a creation as any
     of the studio albums.  Could this live act be considered the Who's
     creation of 1968 (usually considered their off-year)?  After all,
     until 1967, The Who's live act ran about 30 to 40 minutes.  Around
     late '67 or '68 The Who had to create a long-form concert (as did
     Cream and Jimi Hendrix around the same time).  Also, considering that
     The Who recorded most of the tracks on Leeds as studio tracks in late
     '67 and '68, couldn't Leeds be considered the recording of the album
     they intended (and tried to record) in 1968?  Perhaps this is part of
     what makes it so great.