sexuality/spirituality

Gordie and JBoswell,

Yeah!  You guys are speaking my thoughts.  Pete's music is full of
both sexual and spiritual...confusions, longings, angst.  Certainly
part of the attraction for me.

One time I posted something to this list about "Bargain" being a prayer.
I had previously thought that the lyrics (I'd gladly lose me to find you)
just didn't work for me.  I didn't want to think that way about another
human being anymore .  But one time I heard this christian group's version
of it and it got me thinking that it really did seem more like a song about
God than about another person, to me.

Someone else from this list sent me a note after that saying that he
heard Pete on the radio one time talking about "Who Are You" being a
prayer.  The key line being "I can measure up to anyone now after such a
love as this."

The gay take on Quad/Tommy/etc was enlightening for me.  It reminded me of
when "And I Moved" came out.  A friend of mine kept saying "See, he must
be bisexual!"  And I'd say, "NO! NO! he wrote it for Bette Midler!"
At that point in my life, I couldn't deal with Pete possibly swinging
both ways.  As I got older, I started to understand and see it in his
music.  And relate to it.

Trish

Trish Pottersmith
University of Colorado