Re: Shel Talmy

>Reading about Shel Talmy on the list recently makes me realize how little I
>know about him other than that there is a well known dispute which has
>prevented the remixing in stereo of classic early Who singles such as My
>Generation, I Can`t Explain, and The Kids are Alright.
>Is he an
>American(the name would suggest it)?

Gary M:
The answer to that one is Yes. He was an American who BSed his way into the
studios of London...to produce The Kinks.

>What is his musical background?

As far as I can recall without checking, he was a technician. And lied about
it to get a producer's job.

>Is Talmy
>associated with any innovations in rock music apart from his work with the
>Kinks and the Who? Did Talmy encourage Davies and PT to strike those
>proto-power chords or was it their idea?

I would say that from what I've read, The Kinks and The Who did what they
did more in spite of Talmy than because of. Talmy was pals with Jimmy Page,
and brought him in for both bands (beginning the untrue rumours that Page
played lead on YRGM and ICE) and angering them. He also wrote (at least) two
songs which were forced on the bands (The Who did only one: Bald Headed
Woman whereas The Kinks did that one as well as Driving On Bald Mountain) so
he would collect some extra bucks. Please note the excessive "bald" content.
Both songs aren't that great, either.
I've never seen it said anywhere that Talmy had anything to do with power
chording. Having heard The Who live before he started working with them
(Marquee Club `64), I would be inclined to say No to that.

            Cheers                       ML