Shel Talmy

Reading about Shel Talmy on the list recently makes me realize how little I
know about him other than that there is a well known dispute which has
prevented the remixing in stereo of classic early Who singles such as My
Generation, I Can`t Explain, and The Kids are Alright.  (BTW, Kevin, surely
the long break in the unedited TKAA (song) is all chords, not single notes
or even a combination?). Yet Talmy must figure large in any look at Who
mythology, in particular for helping to fashion that classic block chord
sound derived in part from his work with the Kinks but which the Who took to
another dimension, of course. How old is Shel Talmy now? Is he an
American(the name would suggest it)? What is his musical background? Was he
associated withthe Brill Building sound? exactly is said dispute all about
(apart from money, I suppose, or is there more to it than that?). Is Talmy
associated with any innovations in rock music apart from his work with the
Kinks and the Who? Did Talmy encourage Davies and PT to strike those
proto-power chords or was it their idea? If Talmy`s, where did he get it
from? What does he think of the superstardom of his former studio charges?
Did he believe the Who were destined for success from day one? What does HE
think of Tommy, Quad, Pete, volume, the gender issue (just kidding), etc.?
As as certain list member has noted, anyone can ask questions: the problem
is finding the answers!......Gary M.