Re: Censorship!Sun Dec 7 13:22:25 PST 1997

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:13:38 -0500, maiullo@tms.attmail.com (Gary
Maiullo) wrote:

>     One thing I would like to point out here: I have seen unprovoked attacks
>from both sides of the fence here.

It's fairly obvious that whoever posts under the name of Dr.Jimmy is a
complete ass, if that's what you mean. But I learned that "He started
it" was a bad excuse by the time I was 6. My father always responded
"Well, I'm finishing it", and that was that.

>     This is where I suggest you hit the <Delete> key!  As soon as you know
>you don't want to read anymore, <BOOM!> .... it's gone.  As I said before,
>the only reason I would have trouble with ANY of this stuff is if I were being
>charged for each incoming message.  And even then, I STILL might find some of
>it humorous.

Then don't object to it. A lot of people DO have to pay, though,
either per message or by the connect time.

>     I know it is "politically incorrect"  to even suggest tolerance of such
>behaviour, but it just doesn't seem to me that it should even be an issue when
>everyone has the friggin' ability to DELETE what s/he does not want to read.
>Why in the world would any one of you want to have someone else dictate to you
>what you can or cannot read or post on this list when you can control it
>yourself?
>
>Personally, I find any kind of censorship more obsene than any message that
>could be posted on this or any other list.

Gary, get a grip. No one has talked about *censoring* anyone. The only
two responses I have seen so far are:

1. Some people have dropped the list.

2. Some people have asked White Fang to make the effort to raise his
behavior to the level of the average 16 year old.

Now, if someone were proposing something like throwing Fang off the
list, that would be censorship, and you would be justified in this
hissy-fit. But I haven't seen anything of the sort.

BTW, since the subject of censorship has come up, let's not overlook
the real censorship danger. There is still time to join the lawsuit
against the CDA, and it costs you no more than a moment of your time.
Just go this URL:

http://www.cdt.org/ciec/

Give them your name and address, and you can join the thousands who
are part of this suit against the U.S. Government. Remember, under the
terms of the CDA, half the stuff we talk about on this list could be
grounds for government prosecution (deflowering virgins?!?!?, horny
female fans?!?!?!?).

Kevin B. O'Brien
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"John Connally's conversion to the GOP raised the intellectual
level of both parties." Frank Mankiewicz