The WFang Thang

Well, as you all know, we've lost another listserver--Susan this time--all
owing to WFang and his silly little Insult Thang.  Since there has
recently been a grass roots effort on the part of the group to inform
WFAng and Co. that no one, and I repeat, NO ONE in the group enjoys even
remotely these insult postings, I thought I'd put my two-cents in as well.

Here's the thing about all those incredibly stupid postings that gets me:
they aren't even funny.  Not even a teensy-weensy bit.  I mean, if the
insults being posted back and forth demonstrated cunning and daring and
wit and, I don't know, verbal dexterity or whatever, then I don't think I
would mind as much.  But they just aren't all that snappy or interesting.
I suppose one reason I wouldn't mind is because none of these postings
have been posted to me, though that might change right here.  Then again,
I can't see myself getting too worked up about something like, "You're a
loser because (a) your father married your sister, (b) you flip
hanmburgers for a living" and so on and et cetera.  Not even a rimshot and
a laugh track will fortify that kind of puerile silliness with a daily
allowance of wit.  And clearly these guys think that's what they are
providing: rapier sharp wit.  I can almost see them now, sitting at home,
muching on Cheetos, tapping away at their keyboards, and snickering,
chortling, snorting.  But no one else is snickering or chortling or
snorting.  Nor is anyone else laughing, chuckling, or even smiling all
that much.  Sorry, guys.

By the way, what is the origin of the term "to flame" as it involves the
internet?  I've only been list-serving for about a month now and I see it
all the time.  Any help?

Thanks,

Marshall