Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 74

>Quad is my favorite Who album by far.  The music, the lyrics, the scale of
>it all, the POWER of it all -- it continues to move me, 22 years after I
>first heard it.  I have moods where I NEED Quad -- at full volume; I can't
>think of anything else that's more cathartic or beautiful.  This drives my
>husband crazy, but that's another story. It was great for adolescent angst
>-- PT captured the essense entirely -- but it also works as I get older.
>Such emotion -- I really can't articulate it well.  Suffice to say, I am
>female, a Who fan since birth from what I can remember, and Quad is by far
>my favorite Who album.  Isn't there someone on this list ("OK" Kevin
>Winn?) who calls Quad Pete's first (and best) solo record?  That's how I
>feel.

Jake:

I would have to agree; QUAD has lost nothing for me over the years. Indeed,
I appreciate it even more.

>To me it's PT writing as Jimmy (and, yes Marshall, about him at the same
>time) -- and lines like "you say she's a virgin..."  and "every one's a
>fool" are all part of the story.  Taken separately or out of context,
>yeah, they seem anti-female, but I've always been more troubled by the
>"woman in childbirth...recycling trash" lines in Imagine A Man. That's
>incredibly disturbing to me.

"Like a woman in childbirth/Grown ugly in a flash..." I think Pete was just
describing the pain. I don't see this as anti-female.

>I also have a real problem with Psychoderelict's misogynistic
>underpinnings -- the treacherous woman-as-villain and especially the
>"witch's teats" stuff.  I can't listen to that CD very much -- I play the
>music-only one instead.

Well, there are SOME women-as-villains out there. This is only the second
Pete has written about (that I can think of at the moment), the other being
the "girlfriend" in QUAD.
But I listen to the music only version too.

          Cheers                        ML