Tommy - My Opinion

Ok, let this boring old fart throw his opinion into the ring on the new
Tommy. Being old enough to have bought the album when it came out I've
listened to the original a few times over the years.

Having been one to have criticized some of the other MCA reissues I have to
commend Andy Macpherson and Jon Astley for an excellent job. They might not
be on the net but I have a feeling our comments are reaching them. I think
the job they did on this one is near perfect.

First of all, the cover. I found it very interesting that they reproduced
the cover as it was originally intended to be, without the faces. Made it
easy to pick out in the store, too.

I also thought the writeup by Richard Barnes was very well done. I enjoy his
style of writing.

I like the artwork they use on the face of the disc itself. I have the
original Metropolitan Opera House poster hanging in my room and have the
program for the shows as well. Probably a lot of fans had not seen this
before. Perhaps I can add scans of the poster and program to my web site.

Finally, the music itself. I found it very important that the original
structure of the album not be tampered with at all and was very happy that
this "Mona Lisa" wasn't messed up. John Entwistle will probably not be happy
with the mix as he's gone back from lead bass to regular bass but that's the
way I prefer it. Keith Moon would have loved it. There is just so much on
this album that we have not heard before. Amazing what can be done with the
original multi-tracks. I had always wondered with previous pressings of this
album if that was the best there could be and that has been laid to rest now.

Interesting all of the comments on this mailing list regarding the clicking
noises. I think that it is both just there in the original recording but
never audible before and also just inherent in CDs. Much better than the
clicks and pops we used to get with vinyl, though.

Also found Jeff Williams' track by track comments so helpful and
interesting. I have always been jealous of the many people I know that have
been blessed with better ears than mine.

Now, Andy and Jon, let's get those masters from Shel Talmy and get the "My
Generation" LP out in all of its true stereophonic glory. And let's redo "A
Quick One" properly and recall that last attempt. We'll never all be happy
but we're getting there!

Later...

Joe
-----
Joe Giorgianni
46 Terry Drive
South Glens Falls, NY  12803

If you are interested in the Who and their records please check out my web
page at:

http://www.capital.net/users/giorgian/