No Subject

>hMMM... interesting analysis. I think there are 2 problems which sorta
>"spoil" "Face Dances", the production and lack of drums. I like the songs,
>but I don't like the way they are recorded (very clean and all, but...) As
>for "It's Hard".... hMMM... "Athena" vs "Squeeze Box"??? I'll go for
>"Athena". I personally think it's a fun song... I really like the JAE
> songs,
>especially "One At A Time"... There's no right or wrong here, just
> different
>tastes...

Just for the fun of it I went back and listened to both (FD and IH).  I
heard It's Hard first and came away with the same feelings.  I've Known No
War has it's moments, and the title track is good (the song would've been
better as Popular though).  The problem I have with One At a Time is that
the section after the opening horns was used for years on CBS Sports.  All
that comes to mind is "....brought to you by...".  Funny enough I remember
hearing the Baba O'Riley intro for the first time during the '81
Eagles/Cowboys NFC Championship (the outcome of the game probably has
something to do with it, I wish it'll happen again soon...whoops off track)
CBS used it whenever they broke to commercial.   Even with the JE tracks I
thought that he was slipping a little in comparison to "You" and "Quiet
One".

I can't remember where I read this but I know Pete seemed to be grasping for
straws when talking about writing for the Who after Face Dances.  He said
something to the effect of "what am I going to write about, soybeans,
nuclear armament, famine?"  It's good that some people really enjoy It's
Hard (I like a few "how can you listen?" albums myself), I just sense the
confusion of Townshend trying to write for the band on this album.  OTOH, he
seemed free to write as a solo artist and didn't place extra burden on
himself.

Now Face Dances is another animal.  I came away enjoying this album more
than I ever remember (at least since it's "newness" wore off 15 years ago).
I really don't see why people shun this album against Empty Glass because
Pete's writing skills are sharp on both albums.  The only difference is that
Face Dances doesn't have Rough Boys.  (Keep On Working?  Come On!)
Again as I stated earlier, How Can... and Did You... do it for me.  You can
throw in Quiet One too.

Funny story:  I was introduced to Face Dances by my next door neighbor who
was five years older (I was still in the fourth grade).  I remember him
saying "man, I like this album but Don't Let Go of the Coat is really
stupid, why would you write a song about a coat?"  The genius of Pete
Townshend maturing as a songwriter (aka Guitar and Pen).