Re: The Who`s audience

Gary, Re:

> The Who were a particularly macho band (in the good sense
>of that term): the high energy, natural athleticism, and sheer physical
>power of the band made them a natural attraction for the guys.

        I understand and agree somewhat with you, but wouldn't those three
qualities attract girls even more so?

>No doubt Rog was largely responsible for the minority of women who liked
>the >Who too.

        Back then (1969), maybe.  I don't know about now.  Not to say he's
not attractive now, but out of all of the female fans I know and knew over
the past fifteen years, none of them really had any infatuation with any of
them, even Roger.
        My theory is this:  The Who were never a pretty band.  Your average
13-year-old girl finds "cuteness" a big plus in a rock band.  Maybe she
would be impressed by other aspects, but girls, along with the rest of the
human race can be very superficial.  98% of rock bands that have made it
big are men, so some female fans have to be able to respond and connect
with them in some way.  Then there are other obstacles John Sutter
mentioned--the "male" subjects dealt with in The Who's songs.  Perhaps a
13-year-old boy can relate more easily with the lyrics, and even dream of
being in a band himself.  The latter has never been an easy option for
young girls.
        I was very impressed with Gary's second letter, but I haven't
finished unpacking it yet.
                                                                Stacey