Re: Why not just Quad?

At 01:16 AM 6/28/96 -0400, Ballou1@aol.com wrote:

>I don't know about everyone else, but I'm going
>to feel ripped off if I fly to NY, spend $ on a
>ticket, hotel and overpriced food -- and our old
>friends perform a mere 82 minutes of material.
>At these prices, and considering we've waited so
>long for this reunion thing to happen again --
>I'll be disappointed if this show is anything less
>than 2 3/4 hours long. And that means more than
>Quadrophenia.  (I won't settle for longer versions
>of 5:15 and Dr. Jimmy.)

     Given Roger's eye and the likely presence of
Dylan and maybe Clapton for their own sets, I think
that Quad+a coupla songs is the best bet. And in my
book it's well worth the price -- IMO they have done
a *great* job turning Quad into a collage of The Who
and its fans. Which has been one of Pete's major
themes since The Who started touring in the first
place. I do agree that if someone didn't like the
1989 LA Auditorium "Tommy," they're not likely to
like Quad either.

>Why would you assume they'll only play what they
>play at Hyde Park?  So far, it sounds like they don't
>have to share the stage with Alanis, Dylan, etc. at
>MSG.

     Alanis and Jools Holland, as well as the various
"Rock School" bands, were present for variety and to
showcase the work of the Prince's Trust. Together
with Dylan and Clapton, they stretched the show from
90 minutes -- standard concert length -- to a nine-hour
festival for 150,000 people.

>Is it really "trouble" to play a few songs from their
>past?  Maybe an extra rehearsal or two to make sure
>they remember how to play Baba..., Fooled Again...,
>etc.

     It's not that easy. While most of the characters
have played together before, Zak didn't play with the
'89 brass section and vice-versa. They also have a new
set of backup singers to reinforce Roger's losses in
the high end (it was noticeable in Hyde Park). Pete's
been playing largely acoustical versions of songs;
John and his band have been blowing the roof off small
clubs. Given a coupla weeks, *if* Roger is healthy
enough to work on a second set they might get a few in
the mix. But I'm not looking for a two-set version of
1989. Hoping, perhaps, but not expecting ...
Bad defeats Good then self-destructs ...