Gary Glitter Speaks

This is the last in a series of reports on the Hyde Park show that I received
from that nice person.  It sounds like Roger was pretty seriously hurt to me!

<<Here is Gary Glitter explaining the mike accident to poor Roger:

Rock star Gary Glitter spoke tonight of the moment he thought he had
seriously injured The Who's Roger Daltrey during rehearsals at Hyde Park.

   Glitter said he had accidentally hit Daltrey in the eye with a microphone
stand on Friday.

   He said Daltrey had called him after undergoing treatment at hospital to
assure him that he was fine.

   "I thought I had taken his eye out and done something terrible. It was a
terrible experience," said Glitter.

   "I felt like the guy who missed the penalty for England.

   "I would not have slept last night at all if Roger had not phoned me to
let me know that all was well.

   "Roger was absolutely beautiful about it."

   Glitter said the accident happened as the cast of Quadrophenia were doing
sound checks on the Hyde Park stage. It was raining, which could have been a
factor in him slipping, he said.

   "Roger is an absolutely wonderful human being," added Glitter.

   "I feel terrible because not only did I hurt him, but he didn't get a
chance to rehearse."

   Daltrey was not available to talk about the accident. But aides said it
was feared the singer had broken a bone under his left eye.

   Glitter said there was "blood everywhere". One unofficial report also said
Daltrey had had a brain scan, although that could not be confirmed.

   Daltrey made a feature of the injury during his performance by wearing an
eye patch in the white, red and blue colours of the Mod movement.

   He had a tiny hole cut in the middle to allow him to see.>>