Re: the Who and LIVE AID--a kind of history

Jim wrote:

> This brings up a question:  isn't it true that Pete wrote AFTER THE FIRE for
> the band to do at Live Aid? I'd heard (or so I thought) that Townshend wrote
> it for the show, but then the band didn't do it because they couldn't
> tolerate one another for the proper rehearsals to get it down.  Any truth?

Pete says on the Deep End video that he wrote it for Live Aid, but that The Who
"didn't get it together" for the show, so I reckon you're probably right.

My most abiding memory of Live Aid, which I watched on the telly, is that about 30
seconds into The 'Oo's set we lost the picture and got sound only until about 30
seconds from the end. Did American viewers suffer the same disappointment? Was this a
deliberate ploy to boost video sales? (All in an excellent cause, of course).

Pardon me if this has come up before, but I'm new here.

Mark.