Re: the Who and LIVE AID--a kind of history

Denis, re:

>>>It was my impression at the time that it [Pete falling and Roger tumbling
after] was clearly deliberate and more likely
intended to make sure Pete didn't get all the camera shots rather than
helping
Pete save face.  Thinking about it now reminds me of Pete's comments in the
30
yrs vid re Roger and the showmanship thing with Sister Disco.<<<

I think Denis hits it right on the head.  I think Roger was very sensitive to
the "world audience" that they had that day.  For those who don't remember or
were too young, or not Who fans then, etc., the Who's performance at Live Aid
was a big deal at the time because these guys had pretty much sworn never to
play together again.  The acrimony of Townshend's abrupt departure in 83 when
he writer's-blocked on SIEGE was still thick.  Bob Geldoff joked that getting
the Who together for Live Aid was "like getting one man's ex-wives together."
 I think Roger wanted the show to be perfect.  Also, the Who did 4 songs that
day because Adam Ant (remember him?) agreed to reduce his set to one song so
that the Who could do a mini-set (MY G., PINBALL, LOVE REIGN, AND WGFA, I
believe).  Live Aid was hailed as the Who's reunion  and this was at a time
before these kinds of reunions were common (and before reunions were de
rigeur at the RandR Hall of Fame).  I very much think that Daltrey wanted
Townshend's slip to look like part of the set (which ROLLING STONE termed as
"rough but right").

This brings up a question:  isn't it true that Pete wrote AFTER THE FIRE for
the band to do at Live Aid? I'd heard (or so I thought) that Townshend wrote
it for the show, but then the band didn't do it because they couldn't
tolerate one another for the proper rehearsals to get it down.  Any truth?

- --Jim