Re: Talmy threatens!

At 20:02 24/06/96 -0400, you wrote:
>        Save us!
>
>>"Whit the Who, everything that you have heard is from the mono tapes.
>> I own all the original tapes, which includes 'My Generation' and 'I Can't
>>Explain.' So, someday, if all the problems with the two record companies can
>>be sorted out, we will put them out and I will insist on mixing them myself.
>
>        He's making a threat without realizing it!  He thinks that he can do
>the best job!  (Why does he think that the Who wanted away from him in the
>first place?!)
>
>JenniferD
>A Guitar          _________
>\---\____________/         \
> :::=====================I  |
>/---/            \_________/
>(Courier font)
>"The new Charles Atlas course, with DYNAMIC TENSION..."
>

>I'm always fascinated when these discussions of Talmy recur and we all
speak of him so knowingly, as the guy who produced the classic early Who
recordings but won't release the legendary masters he's sitting on, etc. But
what do we really know of Talmy other than these (barest of) facts? Who IS
Shel Talmy anyway? How old is he? Where does he live? Is he a Who fan like
we are? How did he come to work with the Who? What's he been doing since his
groundbreaking work with the Who and Kinks? Does he acknowledge that My
Generation is the first "rock" song, and does he consider that he had a lot
to do with stimulating the Who's groundbreaking innovations (as indeed it
appears he did?). What does he think of LAL, and its re-release? What is
this insuperable issue that, 30 years on, prevents the remixing in stereo of
some of rocks' greatest recordings? Can't someone on the list with
connections in the music biz line this guy up for, say, a joint Who/Kinks
mailing list interview, moderated if need be? The Talmy story is one of the
least understood parts of the Who saga, and this is most unfortunate....Gary M.