re: Why I WON'T be seeing you at MSG

>If it's on MCA's dreadful "Who's Greatest Hits" I hardly think it can be
>counted as "rare."  I'll grant you that it may be rare LIVE, but it still
>made the greatest hits package, which means that it's something the "idjits"
>are at least passingly familiar with. . .

Athos:

Yeah; I meant rare live. And TOTL would indeed qualify for that, not being
on any "best of" I've seen. But remember, I also mentioned I'm A Man. That's
not counting Hey Joe and Born On The Bayou, either.

>I was at the same Raleigh show, where I think (and my memory is rusty), that
>apart from Tommy the only "rare-ish" song they played was "Trick of the
>Light."  They did play some rarer stuff like "Mary Anne With The Shakey
>Hands" at earlier shows, and when I was lucky enough to get a brief interview
>with Pete before the Raleigh show this is what he said on the topic:

Well, I hate to tell you that your memory is going...but they played Boris
as the only Entwistle song. I have the show (a poor audience), if you want
want a copy.
They rushed through Boris, too...and considering John's vocal ability about
then...I wasn't unhappy about that.

>The general impression I got from that interview was that Pete was very tired
>and very contemptuous of the audience.  He still put on a good show, sure,
>but he wasn't going out of his way.  However, I think that NOT performing
>under "The Who" banner has given them the ability to play those rarer
>tracks--the FREEDOM to "sit down somewhere and play them."  But if the
>abortive "Who's Left" tour had happened, I can almost guarantee you that all
>you would've heard was Baba, WGFA, BBE, etc. . .

I agree with you here. I heard that they rehearsed A Quick One for the tour,
but of course they didn't play it.
And the Who's Left tour wouldn't have included Pete, which certainly would
have been a factor. I think he may well be the force behind the rarer song
selection.

> Myself, I'd rather wait to see Pete sit down somewhere and play "Sunrise"
>and "Water."

Ya never know. It could be this time, with Pete on acoustic. And with the
reissues as an added incentive...

                   Cheers                   ML