JAE Anthology review

        I got my copy of "Entwistle Anthology" this weekend.  First off, my
     thanks to Chris of Chris' Who Links for pointing me toward Music By E
     Mail for ordering the CD.  Their price was reasonable (a little over
     $22 total) and they got me the CD within a couple of days. Secondly,
     thanks to WFang for talking me into not waiting for the American
     release.  The price is certainly too reasonable to wait.

        The CD packaging is gorgeous, with a unknown fans painting as the
     cover (fess up, which of you did it?).  The 11 page booklet is
     attached to the inside and has extensive liner notes provided by JAE
     plus pictures of the album covers.  Oddly, they use the US cover of
     "Rigor Mortis Sets In" instead of the UK version.

     "My Size" (3:43) kicks off the CD.  It's punchier than the LP
     version and there's a stereo effect where the guitar swings from
     channel to channel which I don't remember from the LP.  My one
     complaint about the entire CD is that the 2nd track starts to soon
     after the 1st, which doesn't allow one to bask in the blasting
     feedback ending.

     "What Are We Doing Here?" (3:48) is, IMHO, the best in the blighted
     genre of "being a rock star sucks" songs.  When John sings "and it's
     only 25 days, 6 hours and 10 minutes and this'll all be 2,000 miles
     away.  Whoops, there goes another day," one can feel his loneliness.

     "I Believe in Everything" (3:03) was John's bizarre choice for the
     single off of his 1st LP (not "My Size"?!).  I'm wondering whether it's
     meant to be an "answer" song to John Lennon's "God" from the John
     Lennon/Plastic Ono Band LP, which lists the things Lennon doesn't
     believe in.  And now I'm wondering whether Lennon's song might have
     been influenced by "The Seeker" and its list of rejects.  I am going
     'round and 'round...

     "Ten Little Friends" (4:05).  John claims he came up with this because
     of a skull sitting on top of his piano.  Sure, John.  2nd to "Pictures
     of Lily" as the greatest masturbation song.  I can just see Rhino
     releasing Dr. Ruth presents The Who's greatest wanking hits!  What
     could you use for the title (Pete used the best one for the title of
     his 1st LP).  Extending ending on this track which really rocks.

     "Apron Strings" (3:41), "I Feel Better" (4:40), "I Wonder" (2:54), and
     "The Window Shopper" (3:24), with "Ten Little Fingers," all come from
     John's "Whistle Rhymes" LP.  I guess we know  what John's favorite of
     his solo albums is.

     "My Wife" (3:16), "Rollerskate Kate" (3:38), "Peg Leg Peggy" (3:41)
     and "Made In Japan" (3:46) are from the "Rigor Mortis Sets In" LP.  In
     his notes, John says that he didn't like The Who's recording of "My
     Wife" saying it was "too tight and tidy."  I can't say his version
     here sounds very different in its arrangement from The Who's version.

     "Drowning" (4:35) and "Mad Dog" (5:23) are the only tracks from the
     "Mad Dog" LP.  The faux-Spectorish production sounds wonderful on the
     CD.

     "Fallen Angel" (4:39), "Dancing Master" (4:21) and "Too Late The Hero"
     (7:18) are from the "Too Late The Hero" LP.  I would agree that
     "Dancing Master" is a good bass workout, but if you're gonna go disco,
     why not the wonderfully un-PC titled "Jungle Bunny?"

     "Red Red Robin" (1:08).  "Just a joke...really," says John.  That's a
     pretty accurate description.

     Seconding WF, this is a must buy.  Why wait!  I didn't and glad, glad,
     glad.

                                                Yours,

                                                Brian