North Carolina

>Durham is NOT "the boonies."  We are not "stupid
>hicks."  Durham forms one corner of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill
>"Triangle," which was named the No. 1 place in the country to live by Money
>Magazine in 1995.

Let me just add a few things in defense of NC, if I may. It's not only the
state I was born in (that right there should be enough), but the state I
would certainly live in if my wife wasn't in love with her current job. Of
course, I would live in the beautiful Smoky Mountains rather than Durham,
but that's beside the point.
I could write for hours about those mountains, but I'll spare you that.
Let's just leave it with this thought: I've been all over the country, and
that's where I want most to live.
It is also the state I saw The Who in twice, too; in `75 and again in `89.
But as for Durham/Chapel Hill, Athos is completely right about them. Nothing
backwoods about them. Nothing backwards about them, either. I've been there
many times and seen for myself.
There are rednecks and hillbillies in both NC and SC, and yes we have Jessie
Helms and Strom Thurmond and even Ernest Hollings. But don't let that fool
ya; there are plenty of intelligent, thoughtful, and cultural people here
too. For instance, here in Myrtle Beach most of the citizens are
second-generation NYers.
So while I am not angry with Eric082 about his statements (ignorance is
bliss), I don't want to perpetuate the myth that all Southerners are Gomer
Pyle's stupid brother or whatshisname the stupid comedian...Foxworth. There
are intelligent people here and even a few Who fans.

                   Cheers                   ML