Re: The Who in 96 (not running for the Presidency)

>Mark L., re the QUAD shows this summer:

>I agree with Jeff; there is some desperation on this list about getting to
>gawk at the boys.  You are HOPING (like hell) the QUAD shows will be good.
> Hey, the Who have been involved with some good stuff like this (ultimately,
>their performance on the ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS) and some duds (the TOMMY thing
>in 72 or so when Townshend drunkenly narrated).  The quest-star stuff from 89
>was...OK.  Not great, and certainly not great rock and roll.  Maybe great
>kitsch or glitz, but not the kind of thing the Who used to give out (even as
>recently as some of the 79 and 82 shows).

Jim:

I'm sorry, but that attitude smacks of sour grapes. I think that The Who
Plus did fine in `89. It wasn't the `71 Who, but only a fool would have
expected that. It had magic moments that are indelible beyond conception (if
I can borrow a phrase here). It was a fantastic night. Could the band
compare to what they were in `75, when I saw them the first time? Well,
Townshend and Entwistle were both better musicians, and Daltrey was close.
Instead of bashing the horns again, let's just say that the rest of the band
performed very well...and if you want to compare them to The Stones in `89,
The Who Plus wins hands down.
And Townshend was fantastic on this last tour, as we can hear on the
Fillmore show. So I have a strong basis for believing that this QUAD show
will be easily as strong and enjoyable as the `89 tour. And if it's that
good, it will be well worth the trip.
So what if it's not the same old Who. It can't ever be again. You have to
face that, and not deny the other musicians their due. If you want to take
the argument that the true Who ended when Doug Sandom left, then that's your
choice. But I think that being a purist is just another extreme. I'm not an
extremist. This isn't a black and white world.
Personally, I think this is going to be another one of those rare magical
nights in my life. And I'm looking forward to it. And you can't paint it as
some sort of Vegas type deals. I have more faith in Pete than that.

>I think Jeff's trying to inject a dose of reality here:  It's WHAT'S LEFT OF
>THE WHO + GUEST STARS ATTEMPTING TO DO QUADROPHENIA IN HOPES OF REALLY
>SHOWING THEATRE PRODUCERS HOW GOOD IT MIGHT BE AS A COMPLETE STAGE DRAMA SO
>THAT PETE CAN MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY AND REALIZE ANOTHER OF HIS OLD IDEAS
>BEFORE MOVING ON TO HIS BIGGEST MENTAL BLOCK OF ALL:  LIFEHOUSE.
>
>Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.

It's a damned cynical way to look at it. I don't think that's the
motivation, as Townshend could have achieved the same by touring it solo (or
in any number of ways)...which would have been easier on him anyway.
No, it's a celebration of QUAD. As Pete said at the recent Fillmore show: "I
must be doing this because I enjoy it."

                   Cheers                   ML