Re: PLEASE!!

GaryM wrote:

>AThosWhite wrote:

>> How would you like it if you accidentally, say (looking for an acceptible
>>comparison) put a list of ALL your bootlegs on this list and then suddenly
>>found your e-mail box filling up with requests for tapes like Toronto
>>'82--things ANYBODY should be able to find without too much difficulty?
 That
>>is the situation I have found myself in.

>That's funny, 'cuz I did EXACTLY that on the Neil young Rust list. I got a
>lot of lists from folks I normally wouldn't have heard from, & got to help
>out a few newbies start their collections.  If they don't get the Toronto
>'82 show from you, then where do they get it?

>best, GaryM

Gary,
They can go to their local video rental store and rent a copy of "The Who
Rock America,"  and copy it to audio tape.  At least three stores in my
hometown of Durham, NC (which ain't exactly a metropolis) have a copy.
 That's the point I was trying to make, although maybe I didn't do such a
good job.  Let me put it in simpler terms:  Imagine you're a car salesman.
 Not just any kind of car salesman--you only sell pre-owned Ferraris and
Bentleys and pre-war Jaguars.  Now say you mention that fact on this list,
and all of a sudden everybody starts asking you how to find a late model
Honda with low mileage.  Now there's NOTHING WRONG with a late model Honda
with low mileage, they're just a little hard to find because they're popular.
 You, as the car dealer, can either spend hours calling your contacts around
the country and going through stacks of inventory sheets to find late model
Hondas with low mileage, for which you'll get NOTHING in return except a
headache, or you can tell everyone to read their local classifieds for a few
weeks and they're bound to find one sooner or later.

THAT'S what I'm doing.  I got requests for, among others, "a nice Les Paul, I
don't care what year, just not too expensive," and "a sunburst Telecaster."
 Honestly.  Exact quotes.  ANYBODY can find these guitars if they look a
little bit.  So I'm NOT trying to be a bastard, or a grump, or a selfish old
coot.  At least two people were looking for things REALLY outside the
ordinary, and I gave them hints.  One of them thanked me by insulting me for
not doing more.  What else am I supposed to do?

To put yet another spin on it, if WF made ALL the copies of ALL the things he
has that ALL of us would like to have he wouldn't have time to do anything
else.  Yet nobody seems to be upset that he hasn't offered to do that.  How
come I'm not allowed to do the same thing?

(BTW Gary, I don't mean to come down too hard on you--I got some private
e-mails that asked me the same thing tho' some not as politely.  Since you
sent to the list, I thought I'd answer them all by directing towards you.
 Sorry)

Just want to be misunderstood. . .
AThosWhite