Re: More on bootlegs...

Mick, re:

>Quality's the next issue.  No matter how good your system, a tape of a CD is
never going to sound as good as the CD.  Some of these imports don't start
out all that wonderful; copies just go downhill from there.  Multiple
generation copies get progressively worse with each generation. Say the one
rich member of the list (Fang, right?) buys a CD.  He kindly tapes a couple
copies (presumably even WF has a life and doesn't have time to make 300 tapes
for everyone on the list to have a first generation tape).  Considering not
everyone has the ability to dub tapes, and most of us do have other things to
do as well, it will be months before the 300th person gets his/her 20th
generation copy.  Which might be listenable.  Or not.  I'd rather dig up the
cash for the CD than be that person.

Actually, I disagree with your first point about the tape not sounding as
good as a CD. It costs a lot of money (about $5k+ for the right tape deck, CD
player, preamp and moster cables), but it can be done... Unfortunately, about
every 3 years the Dragon has to go into the shop for alignment and pinch
roller replacement (believe it or not, from lack of use) and that costs about
$175. But I DO agree with you regarding time and mutliple copies. Taping
properly is time consuming. Especially when it comes to editing various
source material. I went and got the WWI Pete show to make it more convenient
to dub to tape, but even still, you have to "sit there" to edit it right...
If I was retired and nothing else to do, I'd love to make 1st generation
tapes for everyone. Unfortunately, I live on THIS planet! Taping standards
are tough. I've been trying to convince everyone here that for a few cents
more, TDK MAXs will blow their crappy chrome tapes away, but unfortunately
falling on deaf ears. To me, if it doesn't sound good, I don't want to play
it...

- -wf