Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #176

>Apologies for the non-Who content.   I'd love to read that article if you
>can find it.  Theoretically, I suppose it could be done, however, you'd need
>a whole lot of DSP (Digital Signal Processor) power to do this, and it will
>probably require some sort of artificial intelligence model to separate
>those frequencies.  Right now it's easier to separate noise from a given
>signal, than two deliberate signals.  I'd guess that we're at lease a half a
>decade from this, based on what I know about DSP, and what I can guess about
>AI.

Chris:

I have no idea where that one is now. It was the article about Elvis' master
tapes being damaged, and how they repaired them. So if you want to
investigate, that's where to start...there's nothing like a good reference
library in these here parts (obligatory Southern content).
The article stated that almost anything can be done...and of course, there's
a point where it becomes no longer the original. I personally don't feel
that restoring or upgrading counts...but if they do things like add new bass
and drums (as Zappa did on the original CD release of WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR
THE MONEY) it does the original music no good. Thankfully, Rycodisc has
rereleased the original WOIIFTM (I haven't gotten it yet, but I know that it
exists).

>To throw a Who--> spin on all this, someday we may be able to take not only
>our favorite performances by the band as a whole but put together something
>like this:

>Morph all these favorite individual performances into a "perfect"
>performance, even though it never "happened".

That would fall into the WOIIFTHM catagory for me.

>Some of that is possible now, but it's not as easy as it sounds.  Not easy
>at all.

Thanks for the clarification.

                   Cheers                   ML