Re: Townshend guitars

DW-

re:
>Did Pete play a Telecaster on the '79 tour? In the video from Chicago I've
seen
he breaks a string on a black Schecter right before the "lights out" intro to
WGFA, and when they come up again he's wearing a suspiciously
Telecaster-looking
instrument, looks like dark pine wood, that sounds a bit edgier than the
Schecter. Anybody know if this was a pinch-hit axe, or what??<

Without having seen the tape you're referring to I doubt it was.  Many of the
Schecters Pete played looked like "straight" Teles (ie: contrasting
pickguard) with humbuckers.  Plus which, I've never seen a "dark wood"
Telecaster (except Deluxes and Pluses, and nobody makes guitars out of
pine--too soft.  OK, Danelectro did, but that's an unusual case). If it was
it a black to red sunburst it might could be a Fender, but I'd still be
sceptical.  Whenever I've played a Fender through a Hiwatt it has been so
trebly I couldn't stand it.  Is that what you mean by "edgier?"  I think that
high end response is what switched Pete from Marshalls to Hiwatts--with a lot
of volume Marshalls can turn humbuckers into mush.  Not so with the Hiwatt.
 Anybody else have thoughts?

Let me at my stack. . .
AThosWhite