Re: Who IS The Who

>>Hell, listen to TRIPPING THE LIVE FANTASTIC by
>>McCartney and LIVE IN JAPAN by George. They can do their own songs without
>>any of the others, and sound like The Beatles.
>
>So can "1964 As The Beatles" and they don't have ANY former Beatles in their
>lineup.  Something to think about, anyway...

AThosWhite:

Well how does Whooligans sound, compared to The Who? I considered (briefly)
hooking up with another guy to do a Neil Young/Dylan copy "tour" (I would
have been Young, although I don't look like him...I can sound like him:
"There is a town/In north Ontario..." See?).
I think, in the end, it comes down to this: If Daltrey/Entwistle wanted to
tour together and call it something like Who's That? or Half Who or The
Artists Formerly Known In The Who...then it would be fine, and the fans
would love it. The big shame here is that a lot of younger Who fans never
got the chance to see them...and never will, unless they make MSG.

But then I belive in simple solutions.

The problem: Rog and John want to tour as The Who, but Pete doesn't.
The solution: Get Simon Townshend and Zak Starkey and go out and do it. Stop
bitching and whinning and make like a Nike commercial.

There...was that so hard? Should we take a poll as to how many here would
see them, if they played nearby? My vote is: Yes. And I'm the one who
wouldn't go to the DST tour.

>Good point.  You could ask the same question about Genesis and Peter Gabriel
>or any number of other bands.

Genesis isn't much without Gabriel.

>2.)  Is there someone there to step into the creative void?
>
>Pink Floyd is a good example.  Syd said, "sure, go ahead," and Roger was able
>to step in and take that role.  When Roger left, he said "no, it's dead," and
>Gilmour had to put together a committee to write "Pink Floyd-ish" songs.

I don't think that Daltrey would want, or even attempt to be creative as the
"New Who." Just play the same old songs over and over. That's certainly the
impression I get.

PS: 1964 do a good job at being Beatles. I caught them last summer. Gotta
give them credit.

                   Cheers                   ML