Re: TOMMY without the Who

>I hope I'm following your thread here correctly, Mark.  But it seems to me
>that TOMMY may not even have ever existed without the Who having existed
>first.  TOMMY was a response to their failure to garner hit singles.  I don't
>think you can stretch so far as to say that TOMMY would have major anything
>without the dynamics of the Who's career that came before it.  It's hard to
>even say that Pete Townshend would have ever been recognized without the Who
>to project his songs (perhaps if Pete had joined another band, but it's so
>hard to predict or theorize about how the dynamics of this other band would
>have unfolded--maybe that band would have had hit singles).

Jim:

No, that's not what I was saying. We were discussing what is The Who, and I
said: "If The Who had broken up at that particular point in their career..."
I cannot say whether Pete would have made it that big without The Who to
propel him to that level. Maybe, maybe not. I'd like to think so. We can
only speculate who Pete would have hooked up with had the band not stayed
together long enough to make it. I do believe that he would have continued
in music.

                   Cheers                   ML