should've

re: Ian D.

>> Actually I think they should've stopped calling themselves the Who after
PT shot his load on the '79-'81' US-European tour.  Reasons being that it
would've been the perfect farewell, with the Who's three remaining
members willing to put a %110 effort on the tours.  The problem you have
is that "without Townshend and Moon they are Daltrey's band", woah I'm
excited. Christ,  where does the energy and improvisation come from???  Zak
Starkey?

Wait a minute. A lot of people have a problem these days with what bands
call themselves. I had it growing up with the Mothers of Invention and King
Crimson, both of whose lineups changed practically every year. If I have a
"problem" it is with the word "should". I see no law in place, nor even an
ethic, that requires such a usually transient and amorphous phenomenon as a
rock band to change its name whenever it changes its lineup or its musical
style simply because I and a small group of others would prefer it. It's
their choice, their freedom, their right, whether I like or not. They
"should" do what they choose to do, not kowtow to public opinion, even
mine.

>>   The problem you have is that "without Townshend and Moon they are
>>Daltrey's band", woah I'm excited. Christ,  where does the energy and
>>improvisation come from???  Zak Starkey?

I appreciate your point but you are arguing with yourself. If you're going
to merely paraphrase me you might drop the quote marks. I wrote "without
Townshend on lead guitar they are Daltrey's band." In context: I disagreed
that without Moon they are not the WHO. Implying that the current lineup,
without Moon and with Townshend on practically inaudible acoustic rhythm,
could sure as hell use a name change. But I still defend their right, as I
will defend mine,  to call their business whatever they wish. You may now
call me whatever YOU wish. Hell, call me Pink Floyd.

>>You're going to tell me that Entwistle can play off Starkey
like Keith Moon?  Can I use the same drugs you're taking?  It makes me
sick to think of the Who in their prime that lacked the imagination of
Keith Moon.  Are you enjoying seeing the beach boys yearly at your local
pavillion?

When did I tell you that. Or even imply it? Why are you making this stuff up?

Cheers,